Event Phone: 01793 818603
The aim of the training is to give teachers who are non-specialist in local history, a step-by-step guide to creating a local study with children.
Audience: Geography/History T&L Leads and Coordinators
This will consist of 3 sessions in which teachers will learn:
- how to use aerial photographs to identify change and continuity through time
- how to use historical maps to generate lines of enquiry with children
- how to use historical street directories to find clues about the past
- how to interrogate census returns
- how to identify starting points for historical enquiry in the local landscape
- how to integrate chronological understanding into local history
This will include classroom based sessions where teachers have the opportunity to explore historical sources and discuss how they can be most effectively used with children. There will also be the opportunity to explore the local area looking for starting points for local heritage study in the local environment.
The training will be illustrated with examples from Heritage Schools projects in the South West from the last 7 years
The training will be created to be bespoke for the Swindon area, but the key principles are transferable and can be used in any setting, rural, urban and suburban.
Day 1, Full day with lunch – Thursday 28th November 2019. 9am – 3.30pm Please advise the Teaching School of any allergies.
Day 2, Half day – Friday 31st January 2020 9am – 12pm
Day 3, Half day – Thursday 21st May 2020 9am – 12pm
Please make a note of all 3 dates as only the first date will show on your ticket
Michael Gorley is a Local Heritage Education Manager
- Heritage Schools Training for Teachers
November 28, 2019
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Venue: Swindon Teaching School
Venue Phone: 01793 818603
Venue Website: http://swindonteachingschool.org.ukAddress:
Plymouth Street Swindon Wiltshire SN1 2LB Tel: 01793 818603