Event Phone: 01793 818603
Heritage Schools Training for Teachers
The aim of the training is to give teachers who are non-specialist in local history, a step-by-step guide to creating a local study with children.
Audience: Geography/History T&L leads and Coordinators
This will include:
- how to use aerial photographs to identify change and continuity through time
- how to use historical maps to generate lines of enquiry with children
- how to use historical street directories to find clues about the past
- how to interrogate census returns
- how to identify starting points for historical enquiry in the local landscape
This will include classroom based sessions where teachers have the opportunity to explore historical sources and discuss how they can be most effectively used with children.
A whole day session could also include a guided local walk looking for starting points in the built environment.
The whole day will be illustrated with examples from Heritage Schools projects in the South West from the last 6 and a half years.
The training will be created to be bespoke for the Swindon area, but the key principles are transferable and can be used in any setting, rural, urban and suburban.
Special Offer – 1 full paying member of staff can send along 1x NQT for free! – Spaces are limited so book ASAP
Please email Carolyn Piechniczek – email@example.com if you are intending to bring an NQT.
This is an all day course with lunch included. Please let the Teaching School know if any allergies.
Michael Gorley is a Local Heritage Education Manager
- Heritage Schools Training Day
March 28, 2019
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Venue: Swindon Teaching School
Venue Phone: 01793 818603
Venue Website: http://swindonteachingschool.org.ukAddress:
Plymouth Street Swindon Wiltshire SN1 2LB Tel: 01793 818603